Summer Hostess Gifts, made easy
Summer is a great time to hang out with friends and family. From a day out in the park, to barbecues and pool parties, the time outside spent with loved ones, delicious food and a fun summer drinks. What is your favourite way to celebrate the warmer weather?
Picture this – you have been invited to a friend’s place…you are filled with excitement, when…uh-oh…the realization hits…what will you take with you? The dreaded hostess gift. It’s a sign of good manners and a thoughtful way to say “Thank You” however a bottle of wine seems just too cliché.
My first tip would be to start by asking if there is anything you can do to help. There are so many things that go into having a get together that they may appreciate a hand. The offer to help will, without a doubt, be appreciated.
Here are some ideas for the next summer soiree you find yourself invited to:
1. Plants, especially succulents, are a great option. I love succulents because they are easy to take care of and often come in fun planters
2. Take a platter of easy appetizers. Some dips and cheese with vegetables and/or crackers is a safe option, as it can easily be put out with almost anything else the hostess has planned. If you know her well, choose something more personal, such as some Brie toppings for the cheese aficionado
3. Does your hostess have a sweet tooth? How about some dessert? Macaroons make a great option. They are so cute and delicious too!
4. From beeswax wraps, to reusable straws, everyone is taking steps towards being more green. Help your hostess along that journey by sharing your favourite eco-friendly product
5. Something unique from where you call home. Be it bagels from Montreal, wine jam from Niagara or salmon from BC bring a touch of you to the hostess’s taste buds with a piece of home. It could also be something from further afield – perhaps you recently got back from a trip and want to share a non-cliché souvenir with your hostess (please don’t take a fridge magnet….) Lacquer work from Vietnam, an alpaca throw from Peru or a traditional game from wherever your travels took you
I hope these ideas sparked your imagination and the next time you are invited out this summer, you think outside the box! Share your favourite hostess gift in the comments, I’d love to hear about the best one you gave or received.